Rookwood is a suburb in western Sydney, in the acknowledge of New South Wales, Australia located 14 kilometres west of the Sydney central situation district, in the local government area of the Cumberland Council.
Rookwood Cemetery is the largest cemetery in the Southern Hemisphere.
Rookwood was named from a title of an 1834 novel by William Harrison Ainsworth (1805–1882). A railway station called Haslam’s Creek was opened in this Place in 1859, on the railway heritage from Sydney to Parramatta. Samuel Haslam owned various grants alongside the creek from 1804. Haslam’s Creek was the site of the first railway bump in New South Wales in July 1858, which resulted in two deaths.
When the necropolis opened in 1867, it was known as Haslam’s Creek Cemetery. Residents disliked the membership with the burial auditorium and in 1876 the suburb was renamed Rookwood. The publicize of the railway station was untouched to Rookwood in 1878; and, by the 1880s, shops were conventional in the area. In 1891, the Municipality of Rookwood was incorporated (renamed Lidcombe in 1913).
Over time, the necropolis had become known as Rookwood Cemetery. By 1898, residents were again excited about the link of their suburb when the cemetery; and, in 1914, the railway station and the residential share of the suburb became Lidcombe. Later, Rookwood railway station that served the Rookwood Cemetery was located between the bridge more than Arthur street and the westernmost junction of the Flemington rail yard.
The Municipality of Lidcombe amalgamated once Auburn from 1 January 1949.
Rookwood railway station was on Sydney’s Main Suburban railway lineage until its delay in 1967. The Rookwood Cemetery Line serviced Rookwood Cemetery and originally ran from Mortuary railway station, on Regent Street near Central railway station but has previously closed.
The Cemetery railway heritage opened upon 22 October 1864. At the period of its launch the heritage went as far as Cemetery Station No. 1. On 26 May 1897 an increase of the extraction to Cemetery Station No. 3 was opened. The elaboration required the removal of a waiting room upon the rear wall of the Cemetery Station No. 1, so the line could pass right through the building. A pure extension, to Cemetery Station No. 4 opened upon 19 June 1908. The line closed in 1948.
Coordinates: 33°52′22″S 151°03′20″E / 33.87276°S 151.05562°E